11 Feb 2014
Borscht in bread
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: minutes
- 200g. diced potatoes
- 150g. grated carrots
- 400g. cabbage finely chopped
- 200g. grated beetroot
- 100g. finely chopped onions
- 150g. red bell pepper finely chopped
- 300ml. tomato juice
- Bay leaf, black pepper, parsley, dill
- 150g. lard
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 loaf of rye bread per person
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream per person
- Brown the onions. Then add beets, carrots, potatoes and peppers.
- Add the cabbage and 100ml of water, put on the lid and let it cook at medium heat for 3 minutes, then idle heat for 10 minutes. Add the tomato juice, and if necessary, add more hot water.
- Add parsley, dill, bay leaves, garlic and pepper and mix gently. Close the lid and let it cook for another 2 minutes at medium heat, then turn off.
- Cut bread horizontally in its upper part, empty the crumb and leave a thickness of about 2 cm. Brush the loaf walls with the egg.
- Add the lard and soup and wait half a minute having closed the loaf with the loaf lid cut off earlier, just before serving add a spoonful of sour cream.
Pictured here an example of the type of bread to use (this is Polish “zurek”, photo: Wikimedia Commons)
This post is also available in: Italian
You may also like